Matter and Mass
- Atoms are the smallest building blocks of elements. They are made from three types of subatomic particle: protons, neutrons and electrons.
- Protons and neutrons are held together tightly in a tiny space in the centre of the atom called the nucleus. Electrons move around in a large area surrounding the nucleus.
- Protons have a positive charge. Electrons have a negative charge. Neutrons are neutral (they have no charge). This makes it easier to remember. NEUtrons are NEUtral.
- There is the same amount of positive protons as negative electrons. This means that an atom has no overall charge.
- Elements are made from only one type of atom. Different elements have different numbers of protons in the nucleus.
- The mass of a proton is 1 atomic mass unit.The mass of the other particles are…