ASCH (1955) Opinions and Social Pressure
A CHILD OF ITS TIME
Perrin and Spencer(1980)
- Repeated Asch's study in England in the 1970's
- Found that only 1 student conformed on 396 trials
- Perhaps people were more conformist in 1950's America?
- Participants were science students = MORE confident about estimating line length
- When youths on probation were used = HIGHER conformity
THIS STUDY CONTRADICTS ASCH'S because:
- The assumption was that people would conform to group norms, whatever the situation and whenever it happened.
- This study highlights an issue of population validity,because It is evident here that the study is era specific – a product of its time ands not necessarily relevant to society today.
- Have the cultural customs of the time (1950s) distorted the results of Asch’s original…