- IV is delibrately manipulated
- Artificial environment >> experimenter has full control
- This means we can see whether our manipulation of the IV is Causing the effect seen on the DV >> we can draw conclusions about cause and effect when using lab exps
- Milgram's study into obdience
- Asch's study into majority influence
- Loftus' study into the effect of misleading info on EWTs
- High control over Vs - majority of EVs can be controlled >> experimenter can establish C & E.
- Easy to replicate - lab exps tend to follow easily repeated procedures. This means exp can be replicated to discover if results are consistent thus increasing reliability
- Lack eco val - 'artificial' environment >> Ps may not act naturally >> difficult to generalise to real life settings.
- Demand characteristics - Occur when Ps try to make sense of a situation they are in and act accordingly >> may lack val
- IV is generally deliberately manipulated
- Usual environment of the Ps (eg school, workplace) >> increases realism
- Some control over EVs although less than a lab exp bc of the natural setting
- Hofling's study into obedience to…