What is delegated legislation?
When parliament passes on the power authority to make law to another person or body.
Why is delegated legislation needed?
- Parliament looks specialist or technical knowledge
- saves time
- allows greater flexibility to ammend or revoke legislation
- ministers have the benefit of further consultation
Advantages of Delegated Legislation
1. Time saving – Parliament doesn’t have the time to consider and debate every small detail. DL can be passed quickly to deal with emergency situations (more quickly than statues)
-2. Experts may be consulted when creating new DL because MP’s may not have the necessary expertise (e.g. local councils have more knowledge of the local area
3. Parliamentary Control – statutory instruments are subject to the affirmative/negative resolution or can be scrutinised, by-laws must be approved by…