- Created by: henrietta
- Created on: 31-03-15 14:06
Topic 1 questions
1. Why is water a good transport medium in all living things?
2. What is meant by the term polar?
3. What is the chemical nature of water?
4. What does soluble mean?
5. Which part of a water molecule is negative and which part is positive?
6. Why do ionic substances dissolve easily in water?
7. What state is water at room temperature and why?
8. What is the significance of hydrogen bonding between water molecules?
9. What is the difference between small organisms and large organisms when transporting substances in and out of the body?
10. How do we overcome the limitations of diffusion in large organisms?
11. Describe the structure of arteries.
12. Explain how the structure of an artery relates to its function.
13. Describe the structure of veins.
14. Describe the structure of capillaries.
15. What is the purpose of arteries?
16. What is the purpose of veins?
17. What is the purpose of capillaries?
18. Why are daphnia a suitable organism to investigate heart rate?
19. What are the two main jobs of the cardiac cycle?
20. What is the purpose of valves in the heart?
21. Describe the series of events that occur during the cardiac cycle.
22. Give three reasons why blood clots are beneficial.
23. Why can blood clots be dangerous?
24. Describe the process of a blood clot.
25. What is atherosclerosis?
26. Describe the series of events leading up to atherosclerosis.
27. Name some examples of CVD.
28. Name 7 risk factors of CVD.
29. Name 4 lifestyle changes that reduce the risk of CVD.
30. Name 4 medical treatments of CVD.
31. Name three examples of antihypertensives.
32. Name an example of an anticoagulant.
33. Name two examples of platelet inhibitory drugs.
34. What are all carbohydrates made up of?
35. Name three examples of monosaccharides.
36. Name three examples of disaccharides.
37. Name three examples of polysaccharides.
38. What is the name of the bond that holds monosaccharides together?
39. What is the name of the reaction that causes monosaccharides to bond?
40. What is the name of the reaction that breaks the bonds between monosaccharides?
41. What is sucrose made up from?
42. What is maltose made up from?
43. What is lactose made up from?
44. Describe the structure of starch.
45. Explain the advantages of glycogen as an energy storage molecule in the human body.
46. What are lipids?
47. What are triglycerides?
48. Describe the structure of a triglyceride.
49. Name three ways that the fatty acids can vary in a triglyceride.
50. Describe the structure of saturated fatty acids.
51. Describe the structure of monounsaturated fatty acids.