- Artery has a thick wall
- Thin smooth inner endothelial wall - prevents blood from clotting inside vessels
- Thick muscle/elastic fibre layer - to stretch to accomodate pressure changes
- Tough outer layer of collagen fibres - prevents rupturing
- Lumen size is small in comparison to it's thick wall - this to maintain high blood pressure
- It's function is to carry oxygenated blood to all major organs in the body.
- They subdivide and branch out into arterioles - become finer and smaller
- Have no valves, except in the aorta and pulmonary artery - prevents blood flowing back to the heart.
Similar Health & Social Care resources: