THE WORKING MEMORY MODEL (BADDELEY AND HITCH 1974) - replaces the concept of a unitary STM. It propses a multi-component, flexible system concerned with active processing and short-term storage of information.
key features of the working memory model -
1. The central executive is the most important component in the model and is involved in problem solving and decision making.
- it controls attention and plays major role in planning and synthesizing information
- flexible and can process information from any modality
- limited storage capacity and can attend to a limited number of things at one time.
2. The phonological loop stores a limited number of speech-based sounds for brief periods.