What effect does exercise have on your body?
- The more active a cell is the more energy it needs so respiration must happen at an increased rate
- During exercise the muscles use up oxygen and glucose very quickly, so the blood supply to the muscles must increase
- The amount of blood circulated by the heart depends not only on the heart rate, but also on the stroke volume
- This is the volume of blood pumped out of the heart on each beat. If we multiply heart rate by stroke volume, we got the cardiac output, which is the volume of blood circulated by the heart in a given time
Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate
- Heart rate and stroke volume increase with exercise, so cardiac output also increases. This delivers more blood to respiring tissues faster