- represents capitalist views, sexist views, and the views of the older generation
- ignorant / naive
- no progression
- "hard-headed business man"
- "The German's don't want war" // "the Titanic...unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable"
- "you'd this everybody has to look after everybody else, as if we were all mixed up like bees in a hive"
- "If you don't come down sharply on some of these people they'd soon be asking for the earth."
- "If we were all responsible for everything that happened to everybody we'd has anything to do with, it would be very awkward, wouldn't it?"
- "when this comes out at the inquest, it isn't going to do us much good"
- "(somewhat impatiently)
- Eric - "you're not the kind of father a chap can go to when he's in trouble"
- "Now look at the pair of them - the famous younger generation who know it all. And they can't even take a joke-"
- represents capitalist views, the views of those in the traditional class based system, and the views of the older generations
- superior (socially)
- no progression
- "When you're married you'll realise that men with important work to do sometimes have to spend nearly all their time and energy on their business."
- "(staggered) You know him, Gerald - and you're a man - you must know it isn't true"
- "I don't suppose for a moment that we can understand why the girl committed suicide. Girls of that class - "
- "Unlike the other three, I did nothing I'm ashamed of"
- "I blame the young man who was the father of the child.... then it's due to him" (page 47)
- "(triumphantly) Didn't I tell you?"
- "I was the only one who didn't give in to him"
- represents the views of the younger generation
- part of the 'chain of events' - started off by abusing his power/status
- accepts responsibility and feels guilty about his actions
- shows he is capable of changing for the better
- "(not quite at ease, half shy, half assertive)"
- "(still uneasy) Well I don't think it's very funny"
- "Just let me finish, Eric, you've got a lot to learn yet"
- "It's about time you learn to face a few responsibilities"
- "I was in that state when a chap easily turns nasty"
- "used her for the end of a stupid,…
Similar English Literature resources: