When Roosevelt took power he had 3 main aims:
- Relief - to help improve the lives of people
- Recovery - to begin to rebuild US industry and trade
- Reform - to change conditions to ensure future progress
On the day of Roosevelt's insuguration he faced a banking crisis. His Emergency Banking Act closed the bancks for four days. Then he permanently shut down the weakest banks and explained that the banks that were left open were now secure. In Roosevelt's first Hundred Days he started "fireside chats" which were radio broadcasts when he would speak to the nation explaining his polices. He introduced many alphabetic agencies such as:
- AAA (Agriculture Adjustment Administration) - this helped farmers to destroy surplus production and compensating them for the loss. This meant prices could rise and farming would recover.
- FERA (Federal Emergency Relief Administration) - this gave government grants to local government to provide emergency help for the destitute.
- CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) - created jobs for young men in useful environmental work
- NRA (National Recovery Administration) - negotiated with industry to establish agreements on pay and working conditions
- PWA (Public Works Administration) - used skilled unemployed workers on public construction projects
- TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) - was set up to regenerate the area constructing dams which would provide electricity and encourage industry to develop.
The New Deal was aimed at resolving the immediate economic crisis and its effects. By 1935…