Alcohols have an -OH functional group and end in -ol
1) The general formula of an alcohol is CnH2n+1OH
2) All alcohols contain the same -OH functional group. You need to know the first three in the homologous series: Methanol, Ethanol, Propanol. ( A homologous series is a groups of chemicals which react in a similar way because they have the same functional group)
The first three alcohols have similar properties:
1) Alcohols are flammable. They burn in air to produce carbon dioxide and water.
2) The first three alcohols all dissolve completly in water to form neutral solutions
3) They also react with sodium to give hydrogen and alkoxides
4) Ethanol is the main alcohol in alcoholic drinks, It's not as toxic as methanol ( which causes blindness if drunk) but it still damages the liver and brain.