- Created by: joshlad
- Created on: 24-05-15 17:06
Aims of Punishment
- Retribution - this means revenge for what has been done
- Deterrent - to discourage others from committing the crime
- Protection - to protect the public. Especially important if the crime has been violent
- Reform - To educate and encourage them not to commit the crime again.
What do Christians think?
The bible suggests that some kind of retribution is OK (fracture for fracture; eye for eye; tooth for tooth).
However, Jesus also told us to be forgiving (he forgave his persecutors when he was on the cross). However, that doesn't…