- Is the capacity to do work without becoming exhausted.
- It is the combination of strength, flexibility and endurance.
- The two types of fitness that are important in exercise are aerobic and muscular fitness.
- This is the capacity to take in, transport and use oxygen without tiring.
- Good aerobic fitness is to be able to do this for longer than 12 minutes.
- The respiratory and cardiovascular systems are used during aerobic fitness.
- The function of respiration is to get oxygen from the air to our body cells. The O2 then combines with chemicals from food to release energy (oxygen uptake).
- Examples of aerobic fitness are swimming, running, walking and cycling.
- Muscular fitness includes:
- Maximum strength (the greatest force a muscle can exert in a single contraction, e.g. holding a heavy weight)
- Dynamic strength (ability for a muscle to contract at speed whist overcoming resistance, e.g. sprinting or cycling)
- Flexibility (the range of movement possible by the whole body, or part of the body, at a single point e.g. touching toes)
- Mobility (ability to move with speed, balance and endurance, e.g. )
- Endurance/stamina (ability to exert power for an extended period without tiring, e.g. cross country running)
- Energy for muscular fitness comes from either glycogen that has been…