- Fossils provide a record that animals lived long ago.
- They also provide evidence that animals can change over long periods of time.
- The fossil record is often incomplete.
- Fossils have been found in rocks of all ages.
- The fossils of simple organisms are found in older rocks and more complex organisms are found in newer rocks. This supports the theoryof evolution, which states that organisms change and adapt to their new environments for survival.
Some conditions drastically slow down the decaying process, helping to preserve the tissues. This helps the fossil to form. The conditions include:
- Insufficient oxygen. E.G. When an organism becomes trapped in amber.
- Low temperatures. E.G. When an organism becomes frozen in a…
Similar Biology resources: