Abortion - deliberate termination of pregnancy - usually before 24 weeks.
Personhood - when one confers human - moral status
1. Conception - unique selection of genetic info
may become a unique human if allowed to develop
Problem- calling a fertilised egg a "person" stretches term beyond normal usage of the word
- fertilized egg is a lump of cells (will grow into human), however its like an acorn and oak tree.
2. Primitive Streak - cells structured into individual form - earliest trace of embryo
provides structure for embryonic structure to organise and align
up until this point it was not know how many individuals will form
Problem - same as above;
3. Consciousness - mental rather than physical - state of being aware, awake & sensitive
sensory experience - ability to feel pleasure and pain
rationality - ability to develop complex language & tools
Self consciousness- sense of own past & future + free will
Problem - animals feel pleasure and pain + some have complex communication and tools, young babies are not self aware but still person.
4. Viability - ability of independent survival
can survive at birth & exist independently outside mother - considered a person
Problem - medical technology…