"Othello is a convential tragic hero."
A tragic hero’s fatal flaw is called hamartia.
Othello as a tragic protagonist according to Aristotelian theory. However he is a hero in the conventional sense.
Shakespeare knew that an Elizabethan audience would be very prejudiced and would have associated a Moor with brutality, ignorance , evid and immorality.
- Othello's poetic speech. "Othello Music."
- Othello is respected and valued. "here comes the valiant moor"
- Act 5.2.: "It is the cause, It is the cause, my soul!."
- "Yet i'll not shed her blood, nor scar that whiter skin of hers."
- "When i plucked the rose, i cannot give it…