- Created by: kpaul1234
- Created on: 11-05-21 08:42
What is the cell theory?
- Cell theory is an important unifying principle of biology
- There are 3 components of the cell theory
- Cells are the fundamental units of life
- All living organisms are composed of cells
- All cells come from prexisting cells
- Modern cells evolved from a common ancestor
Describe how Microscopes reveal the features of cells
- Microscopes contain a property that allows detail to be seen called resolution.
- Resolution for the human eye is about 0.2mm or 200 micro meters
- Most cells are smaller than that
- Microscopes magnify and increase resolution.
Describe the function of The cell membrane.
- The cell membrane acts as a selectively permeable barrier, preventing some substances from crossing it while permitting other substances to enter and leave the cell.
- By regulating transport across it, the cell membrane allows the cell to maintain a more or less constant internal environment.
- As the cell’s boundary with the outside environment, the cell membrane is important in communicating with adjacent cells and receiving signals from the environment.
- The cell membrane often has proteins protruding from it that are responsible for binding and adhering…