- Vital route to the Middle and Far East.
- Britain and France bought shares, but Britain soon took full control.
- 1936: Agreement between Britain and Egypt that Britain would maintain forces in the region for 20 years.
- 1952: Military coup in Egypt, Nasser becomes president and wanted to remove British influence from Egypt and rebuild Egypt's economy.
- 1954: Anglo-Egyptian agreement, Britain agree to withdraw troops from Suez, but insist that it the canal was ever invaded by a foreign power, they would reoccupy.
- Eden was alarmed at Nasser's rise to power…