- Created by: Connie State
- Created on: 07-04-15 11:44
Three Definitions of Religion:
- Concerned and focus on the content of religion
- Weber- defines religion as belief in a superior or supernatural that is above nature and cannot be explained scientifically.
- Substanstive definitions are exclusive, drawing a clear line between religious and non religious beliefs. To be a religion, a set of beliefs must believe in God or the Supernatural.
X-defining religion in this way leaves no room for beliefs and practices that perform similar functions to religion but do not involve a belief in God.
2- Functional Definition
- Focus on the social or psychological functions it performs for society and individuals.
- Durkheim- defines religion in terms of contributions it makes to social integration rather than to any specific belief in God or Supernatural.
- Inclusive- so brings everybody in and…