- Created by: Billie2503
- Created on: 08-10-19 17:58
Functions of Water:
· reactant in chemical reaction e.g. hydrolysis
· solvent- substances dissolve in it so reactions can take place e.g. in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells
· transports substances e.g. glucose and oxygen around organelles
· temperature control due to the high specific heat capacity and high latent heat of evaporation
· habitat- temp control, solvent, less dense when freezes = organisms can survive and reproduce in it.
Structure of Water:
Polarity of Water- hydrogen is slightly +ve and Oxygen is slightly -ve
hydrogen bonding- the slightly -ve oxygen attracts the slightly +ve hydrogen atoms of other molecules.
Properties of Water:
High specific heat capacity- the hydrogen bonds give water its high spec. heat cap. - the energy needed to raise 1 gram of a substance by…