- Created by: Christina S
- Created on: 20-04-20 19:36
Smart materials react to a change in the environment such as temperature, light pressure or electrical input. Reactions include a change in colour, shape or resistance.
- Electrominescent wire (EL wire) is made from a thin copper wire core coatede in phosphor powder. It produces a glowing light when exposed to an alteranting current.
- Electrominescent technology is also found in flexible films or thin panels. The light-emitting phosphor is sandwiched between a pair of conductive electrodes and subjected to an AC current to create light. The brightness depends on the voltage applied.
- EL films are replacing LCD displays because they are flexible, do not generate heat and are more reliable.
Quantum tunnelling composite (QTC)
- QTC are flexible polymers that contain conductive nickel particles that can be either a conductor of electricity or an insulator.
- The nickel particles make contact with each other and are compressed when a force is applied, leading to an increase in conductivity. When the force…