- Some genes are found in mitochondria, however most are on chromosomes within the nucleus.
- A gene is one part of a DNA molecule, and one molecule of DNA makes up a chromosome.
- DNA codes for the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide.
- Transcription is the first stage in protein synthesis and uses an mRNA molecule.
- The DNA strand unwinds and unzips one gene at a time
- Hydrogen bonds between complementary bases break
- Activated RNA nucleotides bind on the template strand, catalysed by the enzyme RNA polymerase
- Two extra phosphyl groups are released, releasing energy for bonding nucleotides
- the mRNA is a…