The best way to find out if you have learnt what you have done is to test yourself:
The Evolution of the atmosphere
1. What gases did volcanoes give out?
2. Which planets atmospheres was Earth most like at first?
3. How did the oceans form?
4. How did the CO2 become less and the O2 become more?
5. What is the ozone layer?
6. Why is all this only a theory?
7. Make a table of what effects today’s atmosphere. Include Human activity and Volcanic activity.
8. How have Antarctic ice cores helped us to understand the atmosphere in the past?
9. What % of oxygen is there in air?
10. Write the equation for the experiment that shows how much oxygen there is in the air.
11. What are the three steps in the formation of sedimentary rock?
12. Is sedimentary rock hard?
13. Give an example of sedimentary rock and its properties
14. What metamorphic rock does chalk turn into, how?
15. Which type of rock comes from Volcanoes?
16. What is the difference between extrusive and intrusive igneous rock?
Limestone pages 13 & 14
17. St Pauls Cathedral is made of limestone. Give two examples of why limestone is a good building material and two for why it is a bad building material.
18. How is cement made?
19. How is concrete made?
20. How is glass made?
21. What is limestone used for in power stations?
22. What is the chemical symbol for limestone?
23. What two chemicals does it make when you heat it?
24. Does this happen to all carbonates?
25. How do you test for carbon dioxide?
26. Starting with calcium carbonate how would you make calcium hydroxide? (this is a two step reaction)
27. What colour is copper carbonate? What colour is copper oxide?
Atoms and Mass
28. What is a reactant atom?
29. Is this statement true or false? “Mass of reactants is equal to the mass of the products”
30. What is a sealed reaction?
31. What is a precipitation reaction?
32. Where do you put the numbers to balance an equation?
33. How do you balance an equation?
34. What does this state symbol mean? (aq)
Acids pages 18 to 22
35. What is the difference between the symbol for harmful and the symbol for irritant?
36. What colour would the universal indicator go in a very strong acid? What pH would this be?
37. What pH is ammonia? As it an acid or an alkali?
38. What pH is pure…