- it was on 5th November 1605 and was a plot carried out by English Catholics to kill James I
- the plan was the idea of Robert Catesby, a catholic
- they were going to blow up the house of parliament when James was going to give a speech
- they rented a celler that went under the House of Lords
- they elected Guy Fawkes to set off the powder
- at 7o'clock on 4 November a letter was given to Lord Monteagle by a man in the street which was telling him not to go to the opening of parliament
- the letter was written by Francis Treshman.
- He told Cecil the Chief Minister who told the king.
1 of 2
- on 4th November the celler was search but nothing was found except wood and coal
- they searched again that evening and they found the gunpowder
- they errested someone called John Johnson who admitted that he was Guy Fawkes
- He confessed about the plot on 8th November
- all the people in the plot were all found and found guilty of treason
- some were shot dead like Catesby and Percy, others were executed.
2 of 2