Definition: A believer giving God praise and worship on his or her own.
- It can be done anytime.
- No one can interfere
- Its private and there are no distractions
- Helps you to develope your relationship with God more personally.
- There are no people around to encourage you
- May be unable and need help
- May be disencouraged from no response.
- Pray in church - no distractions.
Definition: Praising God as a group.
Why do people attend public worship?
- Makes faith more fun
- Get to know the community
- "When two or more are gathered in my name I am there" - Jesus.
- Build confidence
How does public worship impact christians lives?
- Allows people to be themselves.
- Never alone - always have a family
- Impact on the actions of christians, e.g. what they do with their money - charity.
- Challenge to create a deeper relationship with God.
Types of Prayer
There are 4 types of prayer - Confession, Adoration, Thanksgiving and Supplication (CATS).
Definition: When you ask for forgiveness.
Example: I am ran over my cat with my car, I am sorry.
Definition: This is where you praise God and tell him how good He is.
Example: God, Thank you for guiding me to learn.
Definition: Thanking someone for their gifts.
Example: Thank you for my birthday present.
Definition: When you ask for help.
Example:Help my mum get better.
Definition: Structured Worship
- Keeps the faith alive.
- Bring the catholic community together.
- People may like rountines of prayer.
- Good for insecure people.
- Childrens liturgy.
- Get bored
- In Latin, people may not understand
- Disagreements on different views
- Easily distracted because its repeating words.
- Not good for younger generation.
Definition: Spontaneus worship.
- More fun for younger generation
- More modern
- It's lead by the Holy Spirit
- Very unorganised
- It can be random - dont know whats going on
- Not traditional - old people may not like it
- Might get too loud - no peaceful time.
- May not teach Bible because they arent rooted in tradition.
Aids to worship
An icon is a holy picture, specially painted to present Christ, Mary or one of the Saints.
- Important for Orthadox, they see the icon as being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Used to help them pray. They can represent Christ, Mary or other Saints.
- Catholics do not pray to statues. They use them as a reminders of a person and love for God.
Method of prayer mainly by Roman Catholics; the beads used during the praying of the Rosary.
- Important as Mary gave them to Bernadette.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Aids to worship
- There to remind you of your faith.
- Helps makes prayer regular (Rosary beads)
- Feel closer to God - physically and mentally
- Rosary bead help you meditate
- Rosary - take you through Jesus' life and it has familiar prayers.
- Dont know if they are real.
- Do not make images of God (Old Testement)
- Can cause distraction.
- Stop spontaneous worship.
- Mediator - Intercessor
- Mother of Jesus - she prays to God on our behalf
- Stayed with Jesus when he was crucified.
- Mother of the church
- Virgin - Roman Catholic > Always a Virgin - Protestant > After Jesus, she had more kids.
Original Sin: Sin that is passed down from generation to generation. Baptism is the only way to remove it.
Other names for Mary: Role Model, Mother of God, Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church, Immaculate Conception and Mediator.
Worship: Showing respect and value.
Private Worship: Giving God praise and worship on his or her own.
Public Worship: Christians gathering together to praise God.
Liturgical Worship: Structured worship.
Non-Liturgical: Spontaneous worship.
Liturgy: Set pattern or words said in church.