- "Love your neighbour"
- "Treat others as you wish to be treated"
- "Go and sell all you have and give to the poor, then you will have treasures in heaven"
- Parable of Sheep and Goats- those who help others are rewarded in heaven
- Parable of The Rich Man and Lazarus- If you are rich and don't share your wealth with those less fortunate than you , you will not go to heaven.
- "The love of money is the source of all evil"
- "It is easier for a camel to go throught the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to neter heaven"
- Equality- everyone should be treated equally "Man is made in God's image"
- Justice- fairness for all eg LEDC farmers should get a fair price for their produce
- Stewardship- "The Earth is the Lord's and everything in it"- we have a duty to care for everything on earth, including humans. God wants us to make sure everyone is treated well
- CAFOD- Catholic Agency For Oversea Development
- Christian Aid
Both charities campaign for a fairer world and offer short and long term aid.
- "Visit the sick, feed the ungry and release the suffering"
- "He is not a believer who eats his fill while his neighbour"
- Allah rewards us in heaven for our good deeds
- Wealth is a gift from Allah and should be used to help others
- Zakah- it is obligatory and a religious duty for muslims to give 2.5% of their savings to charity each year
- Sadaqah- voluntary giving at any time, especially encouraged when an emergency occurs eg earthquake
- "...if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole of mankind"
- Karma- helping people = good karma= good rebirth
- Ahisma- nothing should suffer
- Dana- charity or generosity
- Karuna- compassion
“I always say if you wish to be happy & aim for self-interest, then care for others. This brings lasting happiness.” (Dalai Lama)
Tibet Foundation: Provided money & resources for the emergency relief effort following the Bihar floods.