Hardwoods take 80-100 years to grow, they have broad-leaves and their seeds are enclosed.
- Strong, hard, tough, durable
- Works well
- Expensive, heavy, prone to splitting
- Can be physically hard
- Easy to work, durable, works well
- Variable grain, prone to warping, physical hardness varies
- Physically hard, tough, polishes well
- Can be prone to warping, can be difficult to work, can't be used outside
1 of 2
Soft woods come from conifer trees and take 30 years to grow. This means they are cheaper than hardwoods.
- Straight grain
- Easy to work
- Knots can make working difficult
2 of 2