- Created by: laura simmonds
- Created on: 05-05-13 21:18
Dodge Dandolo & the Venetians
- DD was the leader of the crusade, and said that if they went, they would have to go the way he wanted to first.
- were in debt with the venetians, so effectively, were in control of the crusaders.
1 of 4
Christian Leaders - Money Hungry
- when only 11,000 people turned up, it meant that they couldn't pay back the venetians, so instead attcked Zara and used it as a payment (24 Nov 1202)
- when the crusaders said the would help Alexius he promised them men and money, so attcked Constantinople to get the money they wanted (April 1204)
2 of 4
Poor Planning & Leadership
- they didn't have all the men they originally planned to have, and so were weaker.
- it was completely overestimated, denied access to venice.
- pope could also be blamed, he didn't get very involved and didn't have a lot of control over it.
3 of 4
Concern about Byzantium Politics
- got involved because they were promised 10,000 men and 200,000 marks, and that he would reunite the church.
- Dodge keen to get revenge, 1171, Isaac blinded, stopped venetians trading with Constantinople.
4 of 4
Similar History resources: