- Created by: becky_99
- Created on: 09-12-19 00:56
What is sport science?
- Exercise/health physiology - understand the effects of exercise on the body
- Performance psychology - how do you get someone to perform at the highest level possible when physiology is identical to another person's?
- Exercise/health psychology - why do we exercise? What stressors and other factors how well we perform?
- Biochemistry - what happens at a cellular level when exercising?
- Rehabilitation - how to rehabilitate the body?
- Biomechanics - how the body moves with specialist equipment
- Motor control and learning - learn how the body moves when performing; how we control our actions
- Coaching - teaching how to play sport using the correct techniques
- Talent ID/development - looking at elite athletes from a population
Sport science is knowledge about physical activity obtained and tested through scientific methods.
What is knowledge and scientific method?
Sources of knowledge:
- Superstition (personal rituals before and event)
- Tradition (going with a person's beliefs/culture)
- Authority (teachers/coaches telling us what to do and how to do it)
- Pure thinking; common sense; personal experience
Scientific methods/ideas (Bronowski, 1978):
- Order to the universe; capable of being described and studied
- Cause and effect relationships
- Observations can be made
- Process for helping varify the reliability of knowledge
- Is generalisable - replicable and explicit
- Is dynamic - changing and evolving
What is the research process?
Research is an active, diligent and systematic process of inquiry in order to discover, interpret or revise things.
The research process:
- Review the literature
- Define problem
- Formulate hypothesis
- Design study
- Gather data
- Analyse/interpret data
- Write report
Secondary sources (reviewing the literature):
- Articles (journals, magazines, newspapers)