- Created by: lilystaples
- Created on: 03-06-19 19:09
Chromosomes are really long molecules of DNA
DNA- chemical all genetic matter is made up from
- contains coded information
- found in the nucleus of all plant and animal cells in long structures called chromosomes.
DNA is a polymer - made of 2 strands coiled together in the shape of a double helix.
e.g. haemoglobin is found in red blood cells. This binds to oxygen allowing red blood cells to transport it around the body.
- Made from 2 strands.
- Strands are joined together by bases.
- The strands are then twisted together.
- Forming a shape known as a double helix.
DNA - made from small units called nucleotides. This means DNA is a polymer.
Nucleotide - made of sugar, a phosphate group and a base.