When and Where?
- when the sea surface temp. is over 27 degrees celcius
- between 10 degrees and 30 degrees north and south of equator
- often situated between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn
Measuring Tropical Storms
Category Wind speed (km/h) Effects
1 120 - 149 damge to some crops, trees, caravans.
2 150 - 179 minor house damage, heavy crop damage.
3 180 - 209 some structural damage, power failure likely.
4 210 - 249 significant structural damage, widespread power failure.
5 250 + widespread destruction.
(this is called the Saffir-Simpson scale)
Stages of Formation
- Several thunderstorms drift over sea
- Warm air from sea surface and thunderstorms combine
- Warm air rises
- As war air rises and earth turns, air begins to spiral
- Cools and condenses, forming clouds
- Air rises faster, cooler air is sucked down
- Wind speed increases
- Moves over ocean, picking up warm air
- Wind speeds reach more than 120 km/h as cold air is draw into eye of storm.