- Way to remember it: GARGLE.
- G uilt: By Article 231, Germany had to accept full blame for the war.
- A rmed forces:
- 100, 000 men.
- No conscription-only volunteers allowed.
- No submarines or airforce.
- 6 battleships, 6 cruisers, 12 destroyers and 12 torpedo boats allowed.
- The Rhineland between France and Germany was demilitarised.
- R eparations: £6.6 billion, until 1984.
- G erman territory lost:
- Alsace-Lorraine returned to France.
- Malmedy given to Belgium.
- West Prussia, including the 'Polish Corridor', given to Poland.
- Germany loses entire empire and 12% of population.
- 48% iron industry lost.
- 16% coal industry lost.
- L eague of Nations: set up to settle disputes by discussion and not war.
- E xtra: Anschluss (union) between Germany and Austria was banned.
1 of 2
- People called it a 'Dolchstoss'- 'stab in the back'.
- The government officials who signed the treaty were called the November Criminals.
- Called a 'Diktat'-the peace was dictated.
- The economy was damaged, throwing Germany into poverty.
- Lasting political protests- riots and uprisings.
- Just about defenceless.
- Didn't have many rights.
- Cruel, and Germany wanted revenge.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: