What is the Climate in the UK?
- The climate is greatly influenced by its gobal postition.
- The UK is a battle ground between warm tropical air from the south and cold polar air from the north
- The two different types of air fight for the mid latitudes which is when England experiences such changeable weather.
- During the summer the sun is high in the sky and brings longer periods of potential sunshine
1 of 2
Reasons for the UK's climate
- Ocean currents - the North Atlantic drift to the east of the UK controls our climate because it is a warm current. due to our latittude if we didnt have the warm current our climate would be much colder
- Prevalling winds - Warm moist winds in the south west travel over the warm drift so become hotter, this is why we have a damp mild climate.
- Maritime influence - because the Uk is an island it tends to be humid. This why we get quite a lot of rainfall and cloudy weather
- Continentality - influence of being close to or far away from the sea
2 of 2