Voting Rights Act, 1965
- Activists realised Civil Rights Act wouldn't be enough to get people to vote
- March from Selma to Birmingham (capital) - very violent
- Public opinion supported civil rights movement
Johnson pushed the Voter Registration Act
- Ended 'literacy tests'
- Federal agents would monitor registration
The act was very successful
Civil Rights Act, 1964
Proposed by Kennedy - Rising levels of violence (Birmingham), was against racism, and also wanted support of Black activists/people). Prompted by Walk on Washington
Passed by Johnson - pushed against Southern opposition (better politician than Kennedy). Also, in light of Freedom Summer, and violence in Missippi.
What did the act do?
- Banned segregation
- Gave fed. government responsibility to take legal actions in states w/ discrimination
- ensured companies doing business with the gov. had fair employment practices
- Equal Employment Oppurtunities Commission - make sure law was being followed