- He was a Puritan, so hated Spain on account of it being a powerful Catholic county.
- In 1577 he set sail to attack Spanish settlements. He attacked Spanish towns in Mexico, capturing gold, silver and jewels.
- This hugely angered the Spanish, but Eizabeth proceeded to Knight him. She then made him Admiral when the Spanish Armarda set sail.
- He was the first British man to circumnavigate the globe and made a large profit from the voyage.
Sir Walter Raleigh
- In 1885 he established a British colony and called it Virginia.
- He returned from the voyage with potatoes and tobacco.
- Organised two expeditions that took settlers to the new colony (one never returned).