- Alpha radiation is stopped by a few cm of air, which makes alpha quite a safe source of radiation.
- It is used in smoke alarms.
- It's particles ionise easily which help this as
- It has got a long half life, this is also useful as smoke alarms will last for longer.
1 of 3
- Beta radiation has got a short half life.
- It is stopped by thin metal.
- It is used in medical tracers - injected into the body.
- A small amount is used though, so it is safer.
2 of 3
- It also has a short half life.
- It is stopped by tick metal.
- It is also used in medical tracers.
- Gamma is used in industrial tracers - to detect cracks.
3 of 3