- Urban II fund money comes from the European Regional Development Fund and it is for sustainable development in troubled districts of European cities.
- It aims to provide economic and social regeneration.
- Good ideas are shared with others to improve living conditions as widely as possible.
What urban regeneration includes
- Improving living conditions. E.g. renovating older buildings
- Creating new jobs in services that benefit the whole population
- Making greater use of renewable energy
- Using up-to-date ICT systems → make work more efficient
- Training less-favoured groups of people so that they can find employment
People of town of Teruel in Spain have a new ring road, paid for by Urban II funds. → reduce traffic flows through the town by at least 20%
- Cutting congestion
- Improving travel times
- Improving air quality