- Created by: Erin W
- Created on: 25-11-18 17:35
- After usual thanksgiving, Paul launches into a the report received by Chloe's people.
- He warms them that if their quarreling continues "outright division might be the result" - Bruce.
- Paul challenges the issue of disunity that had arisen in the Church.
- Four mains cliques - Paul, Peter, Apollos, and Christ had contrasting opinions which were causing friction within Corinth.
1 of 3
Three Rhetorical Questions
- Is Christ divided? - Christ is one, and the Church, which is his body, must be one" (Morris)
- Was Paul crucified for you? - drop their personality cults and focus on "Jesus Christ and him crucified" (Prior)
- Were you baptised in the name of Paul? - Paul is adamant that people are baptised in the name of Jesus and that Christ is the central force that should unite the Corinthians, not individual leaders
2 of 3
Divine and Secular Wisdom
- Corinthians had come to value the wisdom of their individual leaders over the wisdom of God.
- "Greeks go in for philosophical wisdom" - Paul
- Worldy wisdom arose from "man's rebellion against God" - Prior
- Until the worldly-wise stop relying on their own insight, they will never receive God's wisdom in Christ and will never be united with true Christianity.
3 of 3