- 1991 - Mendelow devised a way of analysing the key stakeholders of a business.
- Generated a grid measuring shareholder power against stakeholder interest.
- Helps company's to consider the prioritisation of stakeholders when decision-making.
- Low power, low interest: shareholders with less than £750 worth of shares in the firm.
- Low power, high interest: shopfloor employees.
- High power, low interest: low electricity supplier.
- High power, high interest: local authorities at the location of Tesco Head Office.
1 of 5
Incluences On Relationships With Stakeholders:
- The boss may reject the notion of stakeholders believing that shareholders are more important.
- Financial pressure - if the business is struggling for survival it would be understandable to focus solely on internal stakeholders (the ones who can help solve the problems).
- The labour market - when jobs are plentiful, staff demand more pay, better working conditions and job redesign to make jobs more interesting, making conflict between workers and managers easy to conceieve.
2 of 5
Managing Relationships With Different Stakeholders
- Over the past 10 years, PLCs have been critisised for their excessive executive pay and the extent to which it has outstripped both staff pay rises and shareholder dividends.
- To manage this situation, firms hire out financial public relations experts in order to 'smooth over' the issues.
- Watchdog catches companies out.
3 of 5
Communicating With Stakeholders:
- Communicating with stakeholders tends to take a modern form in contemporary society.
- A combination of social media, e-mail updates and a website with a 'supplier' section is as important as the customer one.
- Encourages 'engagement'.
4 of 5
Consulting With Stakeholders:
- Majority of the time internal stakeholdrs are a priority to the business, however, external stakeholders may become very important.
- E.g. Primark sees external pressure groups as a huge priority as the business is often accused of lacking ethical standards in relation to its supply chain.
5 of 5
Similar Business Studies resources: