CAUSES OF TUBERCULOSIS
- MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS
- MYCOBACTERIUM BOVIS
1 of 6
SYMPTONS OF TUBERCULOSIS
- Persistent Cough
- Loss Of Appetite = Weight Loss
2 of 6
- Pulmonary TB is Spread through the air by droplets, when infected individuals cough,sneeze,laugh or talk.
- M. tuberculosis is a resistant bacterium that can survive several weeks once the droplets have dried.
- TB can spread from Cows for Humans because M. bovis infects cattle, so their Milk may contain the bacterium.
3 of 6
PEOPLE IN GREATER RISK OF CONTRACTING TB
- People in close contact with infected individuals over long periods
- People who work or reside in long-term care facilities, where many people live close together
- People from countries where TB is common
- Poeple who have reduced immunity ,e.g very young or old people
4 of 6
Course Of Infection
- Bacteria grow & divide in upper region of the lungs where there is more oxygen supply.
- White Blood Cells accumulate at the site of infection to ingest the bacteria.
- Inflammation and enlargement of the lymph node that drain that area of the lung.( Primary Infection, usually occurs in kids)
- Bacteria may re-emerge after some years causing Second infection of TB(Post-Primary tuberculosis,usually occurs in adults)
- Infections rise in upper region of the lungs but cant be easily controlled, so bacteria may destroy tissue and lungs
- Sufferer Coughs up damaged lung tissue containing bacteria,with blood
5 of 6
Prevention and Control of TB
- Better education about TB,particularly the need to complete usage of all drugs
- More and Better Housing
- Improved health Facilities and Treatments
- Better Nutrition to ensure that immune systems are not weakend by poor diet
- Treatment With Use of Drugs
6 of 6