CIVIL UNREST - BLOODY SUNDAY
CIVIL UNREST EXAMPLES:
1905 - Bloody Sunday -
Demonstrators made up of workers and lead by Father Georgi Gapon marched to the Winter Palace in order to present the Tsar with a petition fully signed to emphasise the feelings against the Russo-Japanese war, long working hours, poor wages for the workers and more people power.
However - Tsar Nicholas was not in and as his palace guards panicked they shot and killed 200 of the demonstrators. This was a huge scandal - Tsar became swiftly unpopular.
Strikes occoured frequently before Nicholas' reign and during incredibly often. Too often.
TSARS PERSONALITY WEAKNESSES
TSARS PERSONALITY WEAKNESSES:
- He was Highly incapable of doing the job alone - his wife did all of the important jobs for him.
- He Mistrusted the majority of his ministers.
- He had no self confidence.
- When he discovered he was Tsar he burst into tears and offered the position to his brother who declined as he knew he was uncapable of ruling.
- He made quick and not thought through decisions.
- It was said that he would be incapable of even running the local post office.
- He was incredibly patriotic.
- He recognised his job was appointed by God and so accepted it is his duty.
- He always attempted to be a better leader for his country and making them like him.
- He was the most intelligent of the Tsars ever.
ECONOMY - POVERTY AND LACK OF PEOPLE POWER.
ECONOMIC PROBLEMS: Peasents:
- 80% of the population were peasents who tended to be farmers.
- Land for peasents was incredibly expensive and not sufficiant enough for crops.
- They consisted to be in constant poverty.
- No people power.
- Low wages
- Long working hours
- No people power
- Poor working environments
witte - current minister of finance, made peasents pay taxes in order to improve industry as he wanted to expand it.
RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR 1904:
- Battle of Mukden - Russia surrendered and signed the Portsmouth Peace Treaty
- Battle of Tsushima - 20 Russian Ships sank, 5 captured and 4 escaped.
- Tsar expected the Japanese to be inferior "little yellow monkeys" but was horribly wrong.
- The only reason for the Tsar going to war with Japan was to obtain Manchuria to extend the Russian Empire to make the people of Russia like him more.
- Overall the war was a pathetic failure.
PROBLEMS BEFORE TSAR NICHOLAS
PROBLEMS BEFORE 1894:
- Limited Industrial growth
- Backward economy
- 80% Peasent population
- Large mortgage repayments
- Not enough productive land
- No parliment
- Government Censorship
- Judges were sympathetic towards Liberals and so were removed
- Liberals - which later split into the Kadets and Octoberists
- Social Revolutionaries - which split in 1903 into the Mensheviks and Bolsheviks
- The People (civil unrest)