why was the treaty set up ?
- The Treaty Of Versailles was a peace treaty that aimed to keep peace between countries after World War 1.
- The Treaty was signed in June 1919
The Big 3
' The big 3 ' were the 3 most dominant leaders within the treaty. The big 3 were ;
- David Lloyd George ( Britain )
- George Clemenceau ( France )
- Woodrow Wilson ( USA )
- George Clemenceau was the prime minister of France.
- France had been badly affected by WW1 and Clemenceau wanted revenge against Germany.
- His Aims were ;
- To make Germany Pay for what they had done to France ( large amount of reparations )
- He seeked revenge and to punish Germany
- He wanted to crush Germany so they were powerless
- He wanted Alsace Lorraine In Germany ( land )
David Lloyd George
- David Lloyd George was the prime minister of England
- British people were bitter towards Germany after WW1 so Lloyd George's aims for the treaty reflected the publics views.
- Britain has been relatively badly affected by the War and they also wanted things from the Treaty. His aims were ;
-He wanted to justly punish Germany for what they had done.
-His wishes were a mixture of Wilson's and Clemenceau ( punish but not too harshly )
-He wanted to punish Germany but not so much they one day they might seek revenge against Britain.
- Woodrow Wilson was the President of the USA
- USA had not been badly affected by the war meaning Wilson's wishes from the treaty were not as bitter towards Germany.
- His aims were ;
- He wanted to set up the League Of Nations
- Didn't want to damage Germany as a country
- Believed if the treaty was too harsh towards Germany, when the country had re-gained it's strength, it would seek revenge against the big 3 so Wilson was scared to punish Germany.
- World Peace was his key focus