Name 4 things a school registration system is used
- Used to record attendance
- Used for health and saftey
- Used to diacourage truency
- Used to provide statistics to be used in comparisons with other schools
How did the old paper based system work?
Teachers recorded marks next to students names twice a day. The marks where then added up manually by a teacher.
What are 2 disadvantages of the manual method for
- Registers where often left unattended, which meant students could easily alter the register.
- Mistakes in register entries meant registers where hard to understand.
Name 3 features of a computer based registration
- Capturing student attendance automatically
- Very fast recording of attendance details
- Enabling not only morning and afternoon attendance to be recorded but also attendance every lesson.
How does the OMR form of registration work?
Works by teachers shading in boxes on forms the forms are then batched together and sent for reading by an optical mark reader.
What are the 2 advantages of the OMR method?
- Cheap method of registration
- Can be used for other purposes.
Name 1 disadvantage of the OMR method?
Registers need to be phsically passed to admin staff
They are easily damaged, when folded they are sometimes not readable.
How can smart cards record attendance?
Smart cards contain a chip. When the card is swiped the chip is read by a reader which then records attendance.
2 advantages of smart cards?
- They can be used for other purposes e.g. canteen
- It saves teachers time
3 disadvantages of smartcards
- Open to abuse- Friends swiping cards for other firends when they are not really in school.
- Can be easily lost or forgotten
- Can be expenive to set up
How do swipe cards record attendance?
Swipe cards are plastic like a creadit card. Unlike a smart card, swipe cards contain a magnetic ***** with data on it. Students swipe their card through a reader and their attendance is recorded.
Name 2 advantages of a swipe card
- It is not as expensive as a smart card to set up
- Saves teachers time
Name 2 disadvantages of swipe cards
- Open to abuse- Friends swiping their card for another friend who isn't actually in school.
- It can be lost, stolen or forgotten.
What is biometric?
A property of a human body, such as fingerprints or pattern on the retina that can be used to identify a person.
Name 2 biometric methods
- Retinal scanning
Name 3 advantages of Biometric methods
- There is nothing such as a card for a student to forget
- You have to be there to register- No one else can do it for you
- Performed in real time so the system know exactly who has registered and when.
Name 3 disadvantages of Biometric methods
- Biometric systems are expensive
- There are privacy issues
- Total reliance on ICT system
What are management information systems?
Systems that supply information to manergers and other staff
Give 3 examples of uses of MIS in school
- To work out how many students will be in the new year 7 and to allocate them into forms.
- To decide whether a new teacher should be employed
- To work out the beast way of allocating teachers and classrooms
What are 3 advantages of MIS?
- They reduce the workload for teachers in the classroom and in the school office.
- They can provide up to date information for parents
- They can support decision making for school managers.
Name 3 disadvantages of MIS
- The software is expensive to buy
- Student data is personal, so there must be no unortherised access
- The sotware is complex so staff need training
What is data logging?
Data logging is where readings are taken regularly of a period of time using sensors.
What are 2 features of Data Logging ?
- You can set the logging rate- this determines how often the readings are taken
- The sensors can be put in remote locations
What are sensors? Give 2 examples of sensors
Sensors are used to detect and measure physical quantities
1. Temperature/ heat sensors- can be used in school experimants such as investigating the cooling of a hot drink in different thickness' of a cardboard cup.
2. Light sensors- Detect the brightness of a light. Can be used to see how light levels afftect the growth of a plant.
Name 4 more sensors
- Sound sensors- measure the loudness of a sound. Can be used in noise disputes
- Pressure sensors- barometric pressure sensors measure air pressure: other pressure sensors measure depth of liqud or something pressing on them.
- Humidity sensors- These measure the moisture in the air.
- Passive infared sensors- these are the sensors used in schools and home to detect movement.
Give 3 advantages of data logging
- Readings always taken at exactly the right time
- Do not need anyone to take readings
- No human error when taking readings
What are the two main components of a control syst
- Output device
How does a control system work?
By using a series of 0's and 1's. A sensor will detect a particluar occurrence and respons appropriately. These are known as input bits. Output bits control output devices and again use 0's and 1's
Give 2 simple control systems
- Security light systems
- Burglar alarm system
4 advantages of control systems
- It can operate continuosly 24/7
- It is cheaper- no need to pay wages
- It can work in deangerous places (e.g. a robot to remove a bomb)
- It is easy to change the way the device works by reprogramming it.
give 4 disadvantages of control systems
- The initial cost of equipment is high
- The equipment can go wrong
- Fewer people are needed- leads to unemployment
- If there is a power cut the equipment will fail
How does a weather forecasting system work?
Data is collected by sensors and sent to the computer/ processor for processing
How is the weather information displayed?
- Using icons
- Using text
- Using numbers
what sensors are used for weather forecasting?
- Heat/temperature sensors
- Rain sensors
- Wind speed and wind direction sensors
- Light sensors
- Humidity sensors
give 3 advantages of ICT based weather forecasting
- Data can be collected automatically
- Data is collected at exactly the right time
- Weather data can be collected from remote and inhospitable locations.
Give 2 disadvantages of ICT based weather forecast
- Equipment is expensive
- Malfunction of equipment may lead to incorrect forecasts