Christian and Jewish views
- Day 1 - Let there be light
- Day 2 - Seperated the waters of the heavens from the earth
- Day 3 - Dry land and vegetation appears
- Day 4 - Sun, moon and stars
- Day 5 - Birds and sea creatures
- Day 6 - Mammals and humans
- Day 7 - God rested
Because God created the world, many believe that we should care for God's creation; this is called stewardship.
The world and all that is in it belong to the Lord; the earth and all that live on it are his.
Everything belongs to God, not humans so we should look after it for God and the next generation. As it is not ours, we do not have the right to destroy it.
When you capture a city do not cut down it's fruit trees.
Even in extreme circumstances, such as war, the environment must be protected.
The love of money is the root of all evil. (1 Timothy 6:10)
We should not destroy the natural world in pursuit of money.
Not even King Solomon with all his wealth had clothes as beautiful as one of these flowers... (Luke 12:27)
The world is the most beautiful thing and must be taken care of.
The work being done to reduce ce/gg etc.
- Earth Summits - 2002 Kyoto summit: 83 countries came together to sign a pledge to use cleaner fuels and renewable fuels.
- Individuals can also recycle, walk instead of drive, use less electricity.
- Governments can force industry to monitor and lower thier emissions.
- People can campaign to government to do this.
- Use natural pesticides
- Make safer oil tankers.
- Charities protest
Problems caused by pollution
- Global warming - Average earth temperature rises. Ice caps melt flooding islands. Unpredictable and dangerous weather patterns created.
- Acid Rain - corrodes stone buildings and pollutes rivers
- Use of pesticides - Chemicals are washed into rivers and get into the food chain
- Oil spills - Makes seaside area uninhabitable for all animals.
- Destruction of natural habitats - animal homes disappear.