Education performs key functions:
- Promotes Social Solidarity - Teaching specialist skills - Meets the needs of the economy.
- School prepares us for the wider world - 'society in minitaure'
1 of 7
- School is a focal socialising agency.
- Schoold bridges gaps between home and wider society.
- School teaches Universalistic Standards
- School teaches the principle of Meritocracy.
2 of 7
Davis and Moore (Functionalist)
- Education system performs the function of Role Allocation. (Matching people to their future job)
- Schools teaches the idea of society being based upon fair inequality
3 of 7
- School is part of the ideaological state apparatus. - Justifies and legitmises Class inequality.
4 of 7
Bowles and Gintis (Marxist)
- Education system rewards compliant and obediant behaviour - Makes it easier to exploit as workers.
- Correspondance Principle - Schools reflect the workplace
- School is a giant myth making machine - Meritocracy doesn't really exsist.
5 of 7
- Working Class students see through the myth of meritocracy - They rebel against the school. This ensures that they still end up in working class jobs as they fail academically.
- Studied working class boys - the lads, the rebelled against school and ended up in working class jobs.
6 of 7
Chub and Moe (New Right)
- Studied American Schools. Found that working class children did 5% better in private schools compared to state schools
- We need to adopt a Voucher system - Parents can take this to the school of their choice . This would make schools compete more and improve their education provision.
7 of 7