- Created by: fayjolly
- Created on: 08-07-18 16:59
Father daughter love
portia has a strong link between herself and her father.
she respects him:
- " i may neither choose who i would , nor refuse who i dislike" - she is unhappy with the idea but goes forward with it anyway.
- links with the context of the play - women were expected to respect men and do what they were told , they weren't seen as equal.
jessica has lost respect for her father ,Shylock.
- she steals money from him.
- she dresses as a man and escapes to elope with Lancelot.
love of a friend
Antonio would give his life for Bassanio and Bassanio would do the same.
- he shows his love for Bassanio by lending him money so he can go to see Portia - it means borrowing money fro Shylock , which Antonio is strongly against but will for Bassanio.
- Antonio is happy to see Bassanip go , as he knows he will be with the womens he loves.
portia and Bassanio marry
- Bassanio has to borrow moeny to go to venice to pick a casket . Possibly desperation of wanting to have Portia as a wife.
- "twere damnation to think so base a thought " - The Prince of Morrocco thinks the lead casket is unworthy and can't be compared to Portia - he fails to see that beauty can be within a person rather than just on the outside.
Nerissa and Gratanio marry
- they hardly know eachother - willi it last ?
- Portia and Nerissa forgive their husbands for giving up their rings , and return them . Bassanio and Gratanio pledge they won't make anything more important than their wives.
Jessica and Lorenzo marry
- they come from very differnet backgrounds.
- Jessica runs away and elopes to be with Lorenzo
- Their love is forbidden - they are from differnet religions , this is why she elopes.