The Central Executive
- decides how to allocate resources
- how to share out and direct attention to incoming information.
- central executive in MSM is seen as having a limited capacity.
- can accept information from any sense modality
- flexible in how it allocates its limited resources.
- can do more than one thing at a time while inhibiting attention to another
- thought to be involved in higher cognitive processes such as comprehension, reasoning and problem solving.
- collectively calles slave systems, which can operate at the same time.
1 of 4
The Articulatory (Phonological) Loop
- thought of as mantinence rehersal mechanisim for retaining maninly acoustic, verbal information.
- limited capacity
- consists of the phonological store (inner ear) which briefly holds acoustically coded information, mainly speech.
- consists of articulatory control process (inner voice), which allows for subvocal rehersal of items in the phonological store, e.g. words we are about to say.
2 of 4
The Visuospatial Sketchpad
- responsible for storing visual and spatial information, which can be maintained by rehersal. It too has limited capacity
- codes information in images
- involved in pattern and movement perception
- can create and manipulate visual and spatial images e.g. a choice of routes you want to take.
- to illustrate how it works, Baddely suggested mentally walking around your own house and counting the number of windows you have
3 of 4
The Episodic Buffer
- more recent addition to Baddely's model.
- short lived, limited capacity store
- accsessed by the central executive through concious awareness
- like Tulvings episodic model but it is short lived.
- can take information from different sources and combine them into an intergrated whole
- draw on information from LTM if it is needed by the working memory.
- to illustrate how the buffer works, Baddely suggested we imagine an elephant playing ice hockey, to do this we have to draw on images stored in the LTM but also combine them into a coherant, moving image.
- the episodic buffer allows for two way communication between the STM and LTM and enables us to manipulate information.
4 of 4