Strengths of the Treaty of Versailles
- The Treaty of Versailles brought peace to Europe and set up, an international organisation, the League of Nations, to preserve the peace.
- In some ways it was lenient towards Germany which, unlike Austria-Hungary, remained one country with a population of 60 million compared to the 40 million of France.
- Germany had imposed a much harsher treaty of Russia, the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, in March 1918. Russia had lost nearly one-third of its land area.
1 of 2
Weaknesses of the Treaty of Versailles
- It left Germany with a number of grievances.
- The Germans could not afford to make the reparations payments.
- Britain and France fell out over German reparation payments.
- The treaty punished Germany enough to want revenge but not enough to stop her from recovering and seeking revenge.
- Wilson pinned too much faith on the League of Nations.
2 of 2