- Lust becomes a metaphor for wider social sicknesses
- Misogyny of Lussurioso and Junior Brother as well as their cynicism towards women reflect their own corruption. Vindice’s cynicism is born out of a disappointed idealism.
1 of 2
- Gratiana’s salvation means more than the redemption of Vindice’s mother. Gratiana’s transformation symbolizes the possibility of at least individual regeneration in the dark world presented by the play.
- The opportunity for Gratiana to test her newly recovered virtue arrives too conveniently and so neither Gratiana nor the audience is likely to believe that Castiza has changed so abruptly and drastically.
- However, this shows that Castiza is not entirely incapable of corruption.
2 of 2
Similar English Literature resources: