- Created by: Phoebe
- Created on: 06-04-13 20:23
Spreading Propaganda and Ideology
- Korea - The soldiers were portrayed as heroes saving China from the evil West during the Korean war.
- People wanted to join the PLA so they could be like the soldiers they saw on posters and billboards.
- The soldiers themselves were indoctrinated during their time in the the army. They were taught Mao Zedung thought which meant they did whatever Mao told them to.
- Propaganda was spread showing the soldiers helping the people of China.
- They went around to communes etc. to put on videos promoting Chairman Mao and Mao Zedung thought.
- They spread propaganda about "enemies without guns"
1 of 3
- The PLA caused China great national pride.
- The soldiers were seen as military heroes.
- Mao said "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun"
- They showed power by invading Tibet, Guangdong and XiangXing.
- They put China under military control.
- Their power meant people not only respected but feared them too.
- By fighting against the US they could spread propaganda in a "Resist America" campaign.
2 of 3
Building the Infrastructure and Change Over Time
- 41% of total expenses were spent on the PLA.
- The army was the largest in the world and had to be cut back; more needed to be spent on the economy.
- The army re-built railway lines etc. This made the people think they relied on them.
- The PLA became less communist as Mao re-introduced ranks etc.
- There were more and more campaigns to evoke fear and respect. The army helped create Mao's reign of terror.
3 of 3